Zabór Commune

Zabór Commune lies in the south-east part of Zielona Góra County, along an old Saxon Trail. It is situated in a picturesque proglacial valley of the Odra River and is characterized by gentle elevations of the ground, pine forests, which cover half of the commune’s area, small lakes and ponds.

In Zabór one can see an early Baroque palace complex from the second half of the 17th c. It is the only surviving example of the 17th-c. Silesian architecture of this kind. It was built as a three-wing manor closed with an arcade gallery with a terrace and a courtyard surrounded with six annexes. The last owner of the estate was Frederick Augustus Cosel, the son of the famous mistress of the Polish King, Augustus II the Strong. In 1745 he reconstructed the palace in the Saxon Rococo style. One cannot but admire the rich Baroque interiors with floral motifs and those presenting birds. The palace is surrounded with a well-preserved ( now emptied ) moat. Currently, the palace accommodates the Children and Youth Treatment Centre. The Centre treats children with emotional disorders. The palace is closed to visitors. The nearby 20-ha park has a symmetrical layout of alleys harmonizing with the overall palace complex. A walk across the park brings one to the Liwno Lake. The rich stock of fish living in the lake gives the anglers an opportunity to display their talents. Along the banks of the lake stretches an area which ideal for holding various sports and recreation events.  

The oldest written records relating to the village of Przytok come from the 13th c. In the centre of the village one comes across a richly-furnished Neo-Renaissance palace built in the years 1864 – 1867. The palace was erected on the plan of an elongated rectangle in the place of a former Gothic structure. It is a richly-furnished storied masonry building with ground-floor annexes, covered with shingle hip roof. The palace is situated in a valley through which a watercourse winds its way. On the other side of the palace, there is a 42-bed high-standard youth hostel for individual tourists as well as groups. The palace is surrounded with a landscape park founded in 1792, with very rich a tree stand including many monuments of nature, some of them being over 200 years old. At present, the palace houses the Youth Sociotherapy Centre. A further stroll across Przytok in the direction of Jany brings one to the brick and stone Classicistic church erected in the years 1776 – 1778.

The oldest monument in the commune is the St. Jadwiga Church in Milsko, the first mention of it having appeared in the 14th c. The decorative forged entrance door dates from 1583 and the Renaissance stone font from 1601. The Neo-Gothic steeple comes from the 19th c. The church is furnished with richly-decorated altars and a pulpit.

There are two walking trails leading through the commune: The Blue Trail – Zielona Góra - Stary Kisielin – Łaz – Zabór and the Red Trail - Zielona Góra – Nowy Kisielin – Droszków – Zabór – the Oak ‘Napoleon’ – Milsko.
There is also one horse-riding trail: Zielona Góra – Proczki – Milsko. It is in Milsko that the ‘LANSADA’ Horse-riding Centre has its stables.

In the vicinity of the hamlet of Mielno grows an imposing oak, known as ‘Napoleon’. Foresters estimate its age at approx. 750 years. It is almost 8 metres in circumference and its hollow may ‘house’ a dozen people. This geographical area is also home to the poplar and the aspen.

The Odra valley is also the habitat of various bird species and game, like the red deer, the roe deer, the fallow deer, wild boars, foxes, hares, pheasants, wild geese or wild ducks. One must also mention beavers, which especially took to the nearby bodies of water and the area along the Odra river. Their presence best testifies to the cleanness of the environment. Walking between the river and the levee one can see a large number of partially chewed-at trees. Not everyone knows that the terrain along the Odra river is an area of protected landscape. They are beautiful to watch, but only when the river is calm and the water level remains safe. However, when the high water comes, which is what we experienced in July 1997 and, unfortunately, we have been witnessing once again in May and June of this year, then the Odra floods vast areas of land. Nature once again teaches us humility and shows us that it still reigns supreme.

Back to list


scroll top

The owner of the estate was Frederick Augustus Cosel, the son of the famous mistress of the Polish King, Augustus II the Strong

Currently, in the palace complex in Zabór the Children and Youth Treatment Centre is located

An early-Baroque palace complex in Zabór dating from the second half of the 17th c.

The Neo-Gothic church in Zabór from the beginning of the 20th century

The Ethnographic Museum - Ochla

In Ochla ( Zielona Góra Commune ) there is the vigorously functioning Ethnographic Museum in Zielona Góra, commonly known as ‘the open-air skansen’.